The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Beautiful Sunday Morning

It has been a week and 1/2 since we have our 2nd Garage sale. This time around, we had perfect weather without any rain. Again we had many families donate items from their homes. We had a successful garage sale, we didn't bring as much as we did on the first one, but came very close. It didn't take us as long to set up and get ready for this since we were pro's at it. Both moms helped out and my niece came by. We had some quiet times during the sale, where the moms and I could visit. Even with all the work that went into this sale, it was also relaxing to just sit and visit. A friend of ours donated a big hard kids pool that had a small slide built in it. The girls had so much fun walking around in circles and going down that little slide. Who needs water? Our neighbor came over and asked what we were going to do with the remaining things? We told her that we weren't sure yet. She asked if we could donate to AlleyShoppe and Bridging, because they give to people who have nothing. We thought this was a great idea since people gave to us to help us bring Erin home. We sold some of our bigger items, so now our house is more decluttered and our garage is somewhat bare. I thank the Lord for the wonderful people in our lives, for everyone that is helping us, saying prayers for us. I also am glad that God decided to smile rays of Joy on our garage sale and not cry tears of joy.

Thursday the younger girls had a back to school roller skating party. This is the first time any of them ever done this. Dave and I didn't rollerskate (with my ribs/cartilage muscle, we didn't want to chance me making the injury that I sustained a couple weeks ago worse, that comes later). Jenny was an old pro with it, Katie and Monika struggled. At one point Katie took the principal done, then when the principal got up and was helping Katie up, Katie lost her balance and took her down again. By the end of the night, Katie and Monika were staying on their feet a lot more. Monika won a grand prize that she and 19 others can have a free roller skating party on a Saturday morning by mid November. Monika and Katie both have Gymnastics during that time, so we need to work with their Gymnastic teachers and see if we can make it up. I think it has been 20 plus years since I last put roller skates on. We also were able to meet some of each of the girls classmates and their parents, so that was nice. Perhaps next time I will be healed and be able to get on the rink.

This past Saturday was our 12 hours scrapbooking/craft day. I had rented a banquet room in hopes to get 64 people to sign up. We had send the flier for this day to over 1000 people (including facebook, craiglist and yahoo groups, along with friends, families and work). We only got 10 people that were able to make it. I discovered that the last weekend in September is a very busy time. I was very dishearten that I wasn't successful with getting 64 people, The hopes of this fundraiser was a couple thousand of dollars and make us that much closer. I did a lot of praying to the Lord and realized he has something in mind. The Lord decided that the plan was for it to be more intimate and allow me to scrapbook too. The 10 of us had a great time, we all got a lot accomplished and it was well needed scrapbooking for me. I haven't had the chance to scrapbook since May. Some of the people suggested for me to try this again in the winter when people want to get out, so I decided that was the Lord's plan. Give me enough people to pay for the room and make a little bit of money, allow me to scrapbook, because he knows I love it and need to do it, and have someone (Thank You Nancy M.) suggest another one during the winter months.
As October is coming, so is the next fundraising event. On Oct. 17, we are doing an Holiday Boutique and silent Auction. This week will be busy for me since I haven't been able to get out to businesses and ask for donations. Before we started doing all these different fundraising, I was not real comfortable about doing it, it takes a lot of pride to ask for help and to accept it. So many people have been so welcoming and encouraging to us, that I am so thankful. We have received some checks already from vendors and some silent auction items from friends. We were hoping to be able to get tickets from the sports teams and theaters but found out that you have to be non-profit organization, so we are bummed with that, but will continue onward. Our goal after this fundraiser is to have all the money needed for the homestudy to be completed.
We are half way there. We also continue to get a check in the mail occasionally from someone donating money which we are so grateful. God knows exactly what he is doing, he is timing it all perfectly, even if we don't see it that way all the time.
Someone asked me what our time line is for bring Erin home. Of course if we had our way, we would be there now in China bring her home. I have learned to set goals and deadlines to stay focus. So here it is. Ideally to have the homestudy completed by the end of the year. Once the homestudy is completed, we can apply for grants to help with the money. Send the Dossier to China within a couple of months into 2010. And travel in the summer. Realistically, it probably will be later, but I need to push myself and try to accomplished that.
Today is a new week, the younger girls start girl scouts, Monika will be bridging to an brownie, Katie will remain a daisy and Jenny will be a daisy. I will continue to be co-leader of Monika's troop. I had given a lot of thought of not doing co-leader because it requires more work this year, and with everything else, would it be to much. After a lot of thinking, I have decided that need to continue with it otherwise the troop not stay together. We are also asking parents in her troop to help.
Now back to the present. Time to get the girls and I ready for the Renaissance Festival, a beautiful day for it.
Thank you Lord for all the guidance you have been showing us.

1 comment:

  1. So happy your garage sale went well and you had beautiful weather!!

    Girls scouts is such a good organization- I would have liked Sarah to be in it but it just didn't work out- bummer.

    Miss seeing you at playgroup. I am sorry I have n ot been able to do your activities. It is very busy around her with many of the kids living nearby and Johnny in High School (varsity soccer, homecoming dance) well you know you have Jade in High School!

    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete