The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day

 
Today is Father's day.
I am grateful I still have my dad with me.
We celebrated with both Dave's and my family at my house, but were missing some dads.
My dad had to stay home up north,
He has cellulitis of his foot
we have been praying that it will get better otherwise a different course might be taken like IV antibodics at the hospital.
Dave's dad also didn't make, he was feeling sick.
 
My Father,
My dad,
What an amazing person he is.
He is knowledgeable
very wise
very patience
great problem solver
an awesome mentor
and just plain amazing.
 
When my grandpa (his dad) was still alive and before I brought Monika home, I became very involved with the family tree.
I had written to my grandpa who was a great story teller for 
stories about my dad  
He had a sense of humor with the stories.
 
My dad's pet skunk (I couldn't get it to rotate)
This is my grandpa version of the skunk
 
At the time (in the late 1940's and early 50's_ very few went to high school, so from the time he was fourteen till he was eighteen he lived and worked at home.  One day when he was about sixteen or so he led a skunk home from the woods with a twine string.  He led it to the house and asked mom if he could bring it in.  You can imagine what a fit mom had.  She told him if he wanted a pet skunk, he should go to the woods and live with the skunks.  How he talked to the skunk that got the twine around it neck and let it home we don't know but did some good, since that day he has been very nice to mom and all the ladies that he has met.
 
Another story about how he met and married my mom.
 
After Alvin (my dad) was home from the service (thank you dad for serving in the military), he sometimes went out evenings to a dance or party.  When we would ask him the next day if he had a good time, his answer was always about the same" he had met another girl with a long last name which he couldn't remember or spell.  that would be the end of it.  Then one day he came home, had a sparkle in his eyes and we could see something was different.  He had met a girl with a short last name with only four letters, which was easy to spell and he remembered where he lived and you know it wasn't long and they were making wedding plans.  Al always liked short names that were easy to spell and remember.  Any you know along the way he lost three letters out of his first name and can't remember where they are.
 
My dad loves to built things, many times when I talk to him and ask he what he is doing, he will tell me he "putzing" around in the garage
which means he is up to making something new, fixing things or modifying things.
When I was in my preteen years, I wanted a book shelf, he told me give him some measurements
I measure some of my books and told him this is what I wanted.
He took those measurements and made this
 
He built his and my mom retirement home, built fish houses, log splitter, add-on's for the four wheeler so kids can ride in a wagon or in the box attached to the four wheeler to name a few things.
My grandpa wrote this about his hobby
 
When Alvin was about three or so, one day I wanted to go to town and he asked to go along.  I told him he couldn't go along that day.  I parked the car near the house and went inside to get ready for town.  There was a trailer hitch on the car.  We watched Al, thru the window.  He got his little red wagon to the back of the car.  He found a half rotted stick and put it in the trailer hitch and put the wagon handle over it.  He sat down in the wagon ready to go to town.  When I went to the car I didn't look his way and he was glad daddy didn't se him.  I started very slow and he was very happy that he was getting to town any way.  But then the car gave a sudden jerk and the stick broke and left the wagon and boy behind.  Mom was watching thru the window, and said he sat in the wagon a long time thinking what did I do wrong.  But he learned a lesson, now when anything he makes, it is double strong and he double checks it always.  He doesn't trust a half rotten stick anymore.
 
Happy father's day dad
and I am proud to be your daughter
even though you lost a 5 dollar bet before I was even born.
 
Also Happy father's day to Dave, the daddy to our beautiful 5 daughters, and to each of my daughters birth fathers that created my daughters.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment