On Monday we went to see Dr. W. he is the surgeon that will do the outer ear reconstruction, remove the ribs and do the skin drafting. We talked a few minutes before he started with Katie. He made sure we were all on the same page. I feel he could tell that I wasn't real happy about Jenny wanting the surgery now, because he was able to delay her surgery for at least 3 months. Jenny has a mole behind her little ear that the doctor wants removed. He said emphasizing to Jenny, the lonner we wait for it to heal before the surgery, the better the skin for the ear will look. I could tell Jenny wasn't happy to hear that her surgery was going to be postpone, but Dr. W. explain down in her level and eventhough she was not happy with it, she understood it better. So we moved on with getting Katie moding made for both ears starting with the little one. Monika was the photographer and I was Dr. W. assistance.

First she had to get her hair (minus the pony) scranwrap. She thought it was pretty funny as you can see.
Next he pulled apart cotton ball and put them around the ear. I asked him why he didn't use the cotton ropes that beauty salons use for perms and dying. He said he didn't know about that and said he will have to look into it.
My job was to hold that cup over Katie's ear and not move. He was putting vaseline on her
Mixing the first layer of the moding it was a jell like substance that smell like peppermint
Putting the plaster on top of the Jell like substance, that is my hands that are holding the cup while he putting things in.
That her little ear and he putting the casting on it.
 |
This is the big ear, he is going to work with this and see how much ribs and skin he will need to take. This process took almost 2 hours to do. Katie was a champ in it and was very still, which is a hard thing for her to do.
Today we set her appt for the surgery. She will be having the first surgery on November 16. We have decided not to tell Katie the date at this time. She knows it next month on her break from school, but doesn't have the date as we don't want her to focus on that date until it is a lot closer.
Jenny surgery will probably be on the 11 of November. I will be finalized on Monday. Like I said, she isn't happy that her surgery is postpone and we saw a little bit of her acting out come out on Wednesday, but she been doing better, she is still askingwhen she can have the surgery for her little Ear. I have been able to tell her that we are hoping for Feb. The doctor is also wanting her growth charts to see if he can gauge how fast she grows and so forth.
So my girls love asking questions like how old are you, do you have pets, etc. I found out that his parents were very good friends with the plastic surgeron I had when I was 7-10. I had multiple plastic surgeries on my face due to the dog bit. What a small world it is.
That week of the 2 surgeries is also Monika's 1st gymnastic meet. We are hoping we can keep things a smoothly and calmly as possible during that time. My mom will come down and stay at the house to help. Katie will probably remain in the hospital for 2 days and come home on Friday.
Please pray (and I am sure I will be asking for more prayers as time gets closer) that everything goes good for her. |
No comments:
Post a Comment