The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Sunday, July 1, 2012

A new hobby?

I am not sure if this is really a new hobby
Had my first attempt two summer ago
and Jade ended being the champion on this hobby
with her tender loving care,
It did us well and we received many rewards from it.
Last summer it just didn't happen,
I just didn't want to bother with it
so it sat and became of a different use
It held big branches for the bonfire,
and grew many many different types of weeds.
This spring the younger girls really wanted a garden again,
I agreed that I will give it a shot.
This is what it looked like when we started at the beginning of May
 Kinda pathetic if you ask me, definitely a eye sore
Thankfully the house behind my house has a privacy fence 
and I have a shed to block the other neighbors view
which only left one neighbor to look at it.

I had to call in the enforcers.  My mom helped a couple of days and my niece Stephanie stepped up more then once to help me too.


After much arm wrestling with the weeds deep roots, we finally had a beautiful brown/black garden waiting to be planted.  We brought some pre plants and brought corn, carrot and cucumber seeds.  The above picture is Stephanie and Erin planting away.




Everything is planted and growing.  We have corn, carrots, cucumber, zucchini, strawberries,egg plants, cabbage, tomatoes, acorn squash, and the girls convince me to plant watermelon and pumpkin.  I know that some of these plants are very viney and will take over parts of the garden if we aren't careful.
These little decorations came from my younger girls for my birthday.  They found a wonderful home in the garden.

The weeding is unreal, having to go out their every couple of days to pull weeds.  I hope I can stay on top of it.  I wish I had the weeding champion daughter here to oversee it and keep it looking so nice.  And I am the only one weeding it. 
What happen to this being something the girls want and they are sitting back and watching it grow while I weed it?  It will be worth it later when I see an actual food from one of the plants.
stay posted to see if I stay ahead of the weeds and become lucky with bounty of food.
Mom:  Here is your post I promise you last Thursday

No comments:

Post a Comment