The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Braving camping with 6 girls


 School was finally finished for Monika and Katie on the last day of July.  We were leaving for Deaf Mission camp (blogged about that just recently) on the 8th of August.  7 days to plan something.   Our original plan was for us to save to take a trip to Missouri.  That didn't happen, so plan B was a trip to Duluth.  Monika and I were the only ones that have been there before.  We planned birthday parties (another post) for Monika and Katie on Saturday and the next day we took off for camping near Duluth.  I brought my niece with and Erin was able to bring a friend with.  So the math is Mama and 6 girls ages 16, 13, 11, 10, 9, and 8.  What was I thinking? 

We made it to camp around supper time on Sunday.  Everyone was eager (to eager) to jump in and help set up the 12 man tent.  Some where trying to put the stakes in while others were trying to pick up rocks and sticks where the tent was suppose and others where putting the poles together and trying to figure out how to set up the tent.  It didn't help that the 2 kids that are deaf weren't in the same area, so I had to try to watch all that and go between Erin and her friend.  Finally I told everyone to stop and stand until I assigned them a job.  Took a couple deep breaths, collect my thoughts, made a mental list and assigned them.  We made a great team once they were each assigned to a specific job.


 Erin and Corrie having some fun times while unpacking.  Can't tell in this picture but Erin wore dress boots up (for the ride up and the ride down) 
 Monika having fun cooking bacon over the fire pit.  I had told the girls I wasn't doing a lot of cooking, that we were going to do easy things and this was one of them

 Can't see it, but Katie is on an hammock being swung by Monika.
 Erin helping with making supper
Campfire waiting for people to sit and enjoy it.
We had beautiful clear skies 
to watch the stars



 Monday morning we got up, discovered that my air mattress that Monika and I sleep on had a hole and leaked most of the air out.  I didn't sleep well but Monika did.  After breakfast we headed for Split Rock and Gooseberry falls.  Initially I was going to do them on separate days, I realized as I was driving to Split Rock that they weren't that far from one another but they were a good hour or so drive from the campsite.

As we were driving we were coming up to Glensh*n Mansion.  I remember how beautiful the grounds were, made a split second decision and turned into the parking lot.  I explained to the girls what this place was, they of course wanted to go in.  We opt not to go inside.  I am not sure if we were suppose to pay to walk on the grounds or not, but we saw people walking in too and they didn't look like they had tickets or anyone paying attention.  There was a sign saying you couldn't go any further then the parking lot without a ticket.  We figure maybe it was for the mansion tour. 

  

 We found a little creek that goes thru the property.  I am not sure where the creek starts but it ends in Lake Superior.  After walking around by the tunnel, the younger 4 girls decided they wanted to walk thru the tunnel as we could see light on the other side.  This tunnel is under the busy road that passes the mansion.  They put their water shoes on, armed themselves with a couple of flashlights and headed into the tunnel


 The girls and I on top of the tunnel
 They younger girls walking thru the creek on the property line.  It was just deep enough to cover their feet.
 Monika and Trisha at the end of the creak/start of Lake Superior.
 4 girls getting their first dip into Lake Superior
6 girls sitting on the ledge overlooking Lake Superior from Glensheen Mansion.  They younger girls had fun picking out rocks and skipping them.  Erin and Corrie had fun taking picture

 Walking back to the mansion, Trisha and Katie found some chairs to sit in and talk with each other.
 Made this picture bigger so you can see the girls standing on the ledge and how big the mansion is.
 Close up shot of the girls standing on the ledge
We made our way to split rock.  We didn't go onto the grounds of split rock, instead we went down by the lake and walked around there.

 Discover a spot where the water was pretty shallow and we could walk across and go onto a little island
Erin and I on the Island
 One of my favorite pictures of Erin, to see that happiness in her just melt my heart.
 Once we finished hiking around Split rock we headed over to Gooseberry Falls.  Monika, Katie and Trisha are in the above picture.
 Family picture
 Corrie and Erin on the upper part of the falls

There was a deeper spot that the girls were holding each other while the one saw how deep it was.
We lost track of time and ended up returning to campsite after 10 Monday night.  Kids were all tired.  We stopped and brought an new air mattress and prayed that I would be able to get a good night sleep.
My prayers were answered as I slept hard Monday night.
Tuesday was our day to visit downtown Duluth.
I surprised the girls and stopped at Spirit Mountain
For some Alpine sledding







 This is the view I had when you were heading back up the mountain.  You didn't get to steer or anything on this part of it.
 After Spirit Mountain we went to a swimming Area that I was introduced to when I was in Duluth last month with Monika's girl scout troop.  As you can see by Katie's expression.  IT was COLD.
 They had me join them.  About 5 minutes later, my camera went into the water and no longer works.  I tried the rice thing and that didn't work.  The camera didn't get full wet, but it still didn't work.  I was so bummed

We came home earlier then expected on Wednesday as Corrie became homesick.  The girls had a great time and so did I.  We enjoyed the hiking and just being in nature.  I can't wait to do it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment