For years the girls especially Monika
has been working hard on me.
Every chance she gets
she begs for a dog.
She has a great connection to dogs,
long after her sisters lost interest in the dog
that was around.
She even wrote a paper
on why we should have a dog for school.
For me,
I never been much of a dog liker.
One week shy of my 8th birthday, my family
and I were camping where we have camped for years
and with friends of ours that had a black lab.
I ended getting attacked by this lab
and sustained some major bites especially on my cheek.
Multiple surgeries later and "wishbone"shape scar on my cheek,
I have become hesitant around dogs, especially
any dog that was a jumper.
My sisters dog has helped me
"tolerate" dogs and even with Nell (my sister's dog),
like dogs again.
I also have a friend that
been fostering dogs for a couple of years
and has worked hard on me to join the fostering.
I also don't want the responsibility
of a dog.
(Our first picture with her)
On May 4 I leaped out of comfort zone,
prayed to God to give me the strength I needed,
to have a dog in our house.
We decided on a beagle/German Sheppard mix girl name Darla.
She had arrived at the shelter 15 minutes before we arrived.
She came all the way from KY.
Naturally she was very nervous around us,
but you could see she likes affection.
Within an hour she was on the couch with me
trying to sleep
Found her on Katie's bed after taking my bath
and this was our first clue that she might have been
mishandled by the original owner or someone
she got very nervous. Right after taking the picture
I went to her and petted her and told her she was ok.
She followed me out of the room.
I tried putting her in the kennel before going to bed
she started to shake a lot and didn't want to put in there.
I didn't have the heart to force her in there,
instead this is where she slept all night next to me.
and the black head of hair you see that is Monika.
The next day we took Darla for a ride to pick up her sisters
from school and bring the to gymnastics.
We were told to introduce her to other people and animals if possible
to help her get used to them which would be a good thing for
who adopts.
Erin playing with my phone and Darla
The first day home alone,
she carried all of our shoes to a spot.
She didn't chew any of them.
She did this the first two days and then was done
We also have discovered that she is terrified of males.
Dave has been working on her,
she will walk near him now and sometimes
will let herself be pet by him, there are a couple
other males she will warm up to.
She is also shy around new people
If I am holding her, she will let people pet her.
Running free in a dog park
Break time
Katie and Darla
I have become very comfortable with her,
I let her give me some kisses on the face.
I will let her cuddle up by my face.
Such a sweet face
The girls are doing really good with being responsible with her
She is coming out of her shell now and has a great personality.
We just got to work on the bathroom situation as
she likes to hold her pee for
15 hours at a time.

So precious your furbaby. Recently I read on in news that the military (branch I don't remember) trained a few dogs to stay awake during an MRI. they wanted to see if dogs new when someone loves them. They do. :) My granddog he is also a rescue half black lab half blue heeler. He has come so far. Didn't like males, didn't like to be under anything, liked only his human mom. Well you know I am his grandmom so you know who he loves now ;)
ReplyDeleteglad its going well for all
God bless
Erika