The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

The Mother's day card that was sent out.


It is the early morning hours on Mother's day as I am on my lunch break at work. I have been thinking how lucky I am to still have my mom and mother in law still alive. I am grateful for that. I am also grateful for Erin, Monika, Katie and Jenny's mom, for they carried our daughters in their wombs for approx. 9 months. Even though I don't and probably won't even know what the circumstances were for our daughters not to stay with their birth moms, I am grateful that they gave them a life so I could be their mommy. In the adoption community there is a lot of talk about how you address the birth mom and what you tell you children about their biological family. To be careful about painting a fairy tale story, since in my girls case we don't know their story other then they were abandon somewhere and found. Up until recently, I never told my girls that their birth mom loves them. When the talk came up about their story, I always told them I don't know why they did what they did.....and so forth. None of them ever asked me about love, but from being educated by professionals, I wasn't planning to tell my girls that their birth mom/family loved them, it was going to be more on the lines that I didn't know....There were many reasons listed for that, having to do with honesty and trust. Recently I read a letter that someone posted on their blog. The writer was an adult Korean adoptee, she talked about how she felt about her adoption and about her adoptive parents making sure she knew her biological mother loved her. This letter was a very powerful letter and I had some interesting discussions with some of our friends that have children that were adopted from Asia. I have come to a conclusion that telling my children that I don't know if their biological mom loved them could create more issues then not. I also truly believe in my heart that their biological mom loved them at some degree, They carried them to birth, they didn't abort them or kill them after they were born, so yes, there was some level of love and that is what my daughters will told. Their birth mom loved them to carry them through birth and so on. Whether this is the right or wrong decision, I do feel they need reassurance that their birth mom loved them and I feel she loved them.


Soon Erin, you will have your forever mom, you will have the love you need from your mom and family.

I am also grateful to Wei Fan, who is Jade's mom. Wei Fan trusted us with her daughter 2 years ago, when Jade came to us as an exchange student that was going to introduce us to our daughter heritage as we were going to show her America. She has become so much more then an exchange student. She is our daughter in every sense of the word. She has shown us so much and has taught us so much and we are so proud of everything she has accomplished in her short time here.
Our "first" born daughter. She was only 10 months old when she was placed in her daddy's arms first. It was also Dave's brother's birthday and my birthday the day we parents to Monika. I became a mom on May 25, 2003.
Our "second" born daughter, who has such an affectionate smile and laugh. She was 25 months old when she met us for the first time. Katie walked in the room with a huge smile, saw us and turned around and walked back out. We became proud parents to Katie on September 18, 2005
Our "baby" daughter, oh how scared you were. You cried hard and made us work hard for a smile from you. You are our very strong willed child and can stand your grounds so well. It took a while for you to talk, but once you figured it out, you now go nonstop. You were 23 months old when they placed you in my arms. We became proud parents to you on Sept. 18, 2005.

I am also grateful for Mary, the mother of Jesus. Without her, we wouldn't have Jesus, and without Jesus, my world would be empty.

Before I left to come to work, I was informed by Dave that I was to call when I was on my way home from work. I can't wait to see the surprise my girls are having for me when I get home. I will make sure I post later on that.

Happy mother's day to all the moms and moms to be.

Also today 17 years ago, Dave and I started to date, and it was Mother's day 17 years ago too.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post. It's such a difficult thing talking about birth parents. I think as Moms, we will always second guess how we are giving our children their birth stories; at least I do.

    Your children are beautiful and a very happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete