11 months ago
Sunday, March 20, 2011
What does Facebook and Cellphones have in Common?
This weekend I had a party for friends of my that have been blessed by adoption. 15 families were able to make it. I enjoyed seeing everyone, eventhough I didn't get a chance to visit with them all. I was easily sidetracked. Erin had a friend that came for the party and stayed the night. Her friend Katherine has a lot of similarities to Erin. She was adopted from China when she was 11 years old, she is now 14. She is deaf and was adopted into a hearing family, she has 3 brothers. She used to go to Erin's school, but now goes to the other deaf school. Some of the time I would look at them, and it would be fun watching them two talking, smiling, laughing and having a great time and being totally unaware of their surroundings. Other times, they would each be doing their own thing. During the course of their visit, Katherine demostrated some good advice for Erin that I was grateful. She was also every encouraging to Erin. I have noticed that Erin will get an attitude towards me when she is with her friends (mainly the baskball friends, since that is the only time I see her with her friends). Saturday night, Katherine tried to talk Erin to going to Church with us in the morning. Erin wanted no part of that. Katherine explained how she loved Jesus and so forth. Erin still said no. I left the decision up to Katherine that if she wanted to go she could with. She said "Erin is my friend, I will stay with her". Today Erin decided to be disrespectable to me, Katherine told her that wasn't nice and she didn't like it. Erin got made at her too then, and Katherine held her ground and said you need to be respectable to your mom, Erin calmed down right away. Overall, they had a great time. Katherine was showing Erin her cell phone and Facebook page. Erin tells me she wants both of those now. She has asked for a phone and I told her she would have to wait for a couple of years which she was ok with. But now that Katherine was here, she wanted it now. I said I don't have a problem letting you have facebook or phone, but you need to know how to write and read english. When you have acomplished that, I will let you have it. Erin complained that she not good at it. I reassured her how far she has come in the 6 months and Katherine also did the same thing. She explained to Erin that she couldn't read or write English when she came 3 years ago and look at her now. I think Erin didn't want to believe her, but Katherine and I kept at her about keep working at it. I am hoping this will movitate her more to learn to read and write English. She has been pretty content with just signing. So hopefully these two things will motivate her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow... what a blessing to have a friend to encourage and stand up for what is right. God's gifts are numerous and Katherine is a gift to Erin, right at the perfect time!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that Erin has such a nice friend who's also a good influence on her. It was fun seeing you, Dave and the girls Saturday evening. Thanks for inviting us!
ReplyDelete