The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Friday, August 5, 2011

13 years is a lot of years to retrain

Last week when I took Erin to see the speech therapist.  The therapist was asking so many questions about Erin's past and explaining how important it is for people to learn/hear language young.  She went on about the younger they are, the better chance they have to learn new language.  Currently Erin knows 4 languages and we want to add the 5th on now.  I never thought of it that way.  I looked at it as Chinese is one language and English is another language.  But it is Chinese writing/grammer, Chinese Sign language, American sign language, English writing/grammer and now we are going to try to teach her how to hear and understand what she is hearing and speak it.  For me, I know English and Sign Language.  Because of her being deaf, she can't do phonics like we can and that is what makes it hard for them. 
Erin came to me with 13 years of past.  13 years of learned behaviors and traits.  13 years of survival skills, 13 years of not understanding love, 11 1/2 years of not having mom, dad or a family (was abandon around 18 months old).  They say again, the younger you are when you learn and receive nuture, most of the time the better you are as you grow up. 

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Sue. I know it must be really difficult. I can not relate in the exact same way, but I do completely understand the 13 years of past to work through. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I feel your struggle. Our son joined our family at 4 yo and had no prior speech. At 5 1/2 we are in Speech Therapy 4 times a week and with the prayer,he will learn to speak and use his voice!!

    It's true about the earlier "threshold" for children to learn speech but there is also research to support that with intense parental support and speech therapy, these deprived children can learn to speak.

    I'm praying and cheering for you Sue!

    HUGS,
    Sharee
    www.earlandsharee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete