The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Conquer

In just over a month
Erin will be home for 2 years.
In some ways 2 years seems a distant in the past
other times it seems just like last week.
She has made many positive changes
each time she made a step forward
I would be amazed.
And I would Praise the Lord that step happened.
She was very challenging the first 8 or 9 months.
And gave up easily when she got fustrated.
After that, she finally started to feel
"safe"
but still kept a pretty high wall up around her.
This past spring,
she started to let that wall come down
by huge chunks.
Her first winter here (3 months after she came home),
She tried the basketball team
because she had classmates that talked her into it.
She was a difficult teammate to start with.
She didn't like what the coaches said all the time
or her teammates
"aggressiveness" style on the court.
They remained patience with her
and she slowly learned,
She learned that
they would be there with her.
Last fall there were no sports for her middle school as
not enough girls for them.
She was disappointed but  decided
she could do cheerleading
her cousin was teaching it.
She discovered that was something she didn't like
because it
required to much smiling
and she wasn't ready for that.
This spring she started to talk
about playing Volleyball when she goes to
the high school this fall and was pretty excited about it.
Earlier this summer
we discover because of a large group of girls graduated from Erin's school
or moved, there wasn't going to be enough girls for
volleyball this fall.
Erin really was looking forward to playing volleyball
and was disappointed when we found this out.
She really wanted to play sports now.
I started to do some researching
Contact the home school
asking if she could try out,
which she could.
She was excited to hear
she could be on the Hearing School Volleyball team.
When I told her that she needed to tryout
and not that everyone makes it,
she got discouraged,  wasn't totally
sure if she wanted to do it.
Her reasons:
She is deaf and that is a hearing school.
I encouraged her
I reassured her.
Erin has an history of
"throwing in the towel"
when things aren't going her way.
And she had the perfect excuse
She is deaf and that is a hearing school.
She doesn't have volleyball experience
I kept encouraging her
Got an interperter (the school did the work on getting one)
and continue to pray and encourage her.
She said she would give it a try,
I could see she was very unsure of herself with this decision.
I worried that she would
"throw in the famous towel" attitude.
When the tryout days started.

During the whole summer,
Erin and I have talked about volleyball,
I could see that uncertainity showing itself
Erin was waivering, not sure of herself.
Kept telling her just try your hardest,
but those words didn't appear to mean
anything to her.  So I thought.



Two weeks of Olymp*cs
The girls and I were glued to the TV
Erin initially wanted no part of it.
"It is boring" were her words.
By the second day, she started to watch a little bit
By midweek she was watching a lot more and
becoming a "judge" especially in the
swimming, diving, volleyball and parts of track and field.
She even showed some interest in gymnastics.

When we saw Oscar run,
Erin asked a lot of questions about him
She was impressed by him,
She started to show some more positive thoughts about
trying out for a hearing school Volleyball team.
I used him a lot in our talks,
also showed her some of the people
that were competing that were hard of hearing or had some degree of deafness
You see she was impressed by this.
Monday she had her first volleyball tryout day.
She freely said
she was scared,
She was nervous,
She was unsure.
She walked away feeling "ok" and very sore.
I had prayer warriors out there, starting on Sunday
sending positive thoughts.
She said the interpreter did a good job
some of the coaches were using hand "gestures" too.
There was 105 kids for 4 teams.
Approx. 60 kids were trying out for the 2 freshmen teams.
We talked a lot Monday night,
I kept telling her that she needs to show the coaches she wants to play.
She had one good thing going for her.
Her powerful arm from her years playing
competitive badminton in China.  They worked her very hard in China.
Also said not to be afaid to dive for the ball and so forth.
She was agreeing with me and I could see
she really was trying her best.
I told her I was proud of her.


She conquered her fear,
She stepped out of her comforter zone
She tried her hardest
She didn't throw the towel in and give up
and it paid off.
SHE MADE THE VOLLEYBALL TEAM!!!!!
I am so proud of her.
Praise the Lord.
Thank you everyone for the positive thoughts for Erin
Thank you everyone for the prayers.
Thank you everyone for the support you have given Erin.
Now to conquer the schedule and figure how to get her from
her deaf school to her hearing school.
She is already talking about other sports she wants to do
at the hearing school.


4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Tell her I said congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Erin! You must be so proud of her - not just for making the team, but also for stepping out of her comfort zone and not giving up. I hope she has a great season!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, tell Erin that the only way any of us learn what we are good or poor at is to try many things. As a bonus, when we try many things we find out what we really love to do, too.

    Love to you and your family, Sue!
    Vonnie Holmes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! It is AMAZING to see how she has blossomed in 2 years home. I know you have had many ups and downs with her, and much of the credit goes to YOU for your perseverance and love. She is a beautiful girl who knows love and security and you can see it in her face.

    Remembering her two years home reminds me of the pictures you so sweetly sent of Sofia on their birthday. Such a gift!

    Happy Two Years!

    ReplyDelete