It has almost been a year when we entered unchartered waters.
We did a lot of researching,
reading a lot on y*hoo groups
Praying for directions from God
Going with what our heart, gut was saying
and what our daughter was saying and feeling.
As Katie upcoming last surgery is coming up on Friday (another post)
Jenny is preparing for her first.
She had some very mixed feelings when we started this for Katie,
by accident her teacher said something
that made Jenny decide she also wanted the surgery.
She has patiently waited and watched
Katie having her surgeries
to get the OK from her doctor.
She had to grow, and her body
just couldn't do it fast enough.
But finally the day was here
for her to start the first step.
The molding and casting of the ears
New hair style
helps to protect the hair from the plaster and moding stuff
Dr Walsh preparing the holder
Once again,
I was his assistant (those are my hands holding the )
Monika and Katie were the photographers
We did the normal size ear first.
Preparing the Microti* ear molding
She is giving her doctor a challenge.
Last November,
she had to have a mole removed just behind
her Microti*ear which created scar tissue.
He has said it going to be
challenging, but he feels
he will be able to work with it pretty good.
You can see the scar tissue just above the ear
He makes a molding of both ears
so he can compare, study and figure out the best way to carve the ribs
Pouring the plaster in.
This takes him about 1 1/2 hours to do both ears.
I have talked about how much I really trust this doctor, how I feel
he really cares about his patients.
While he was working on Jenny,
he asked for my opinion.
He is tossing the idea around of starting a
research group for Microti*.
He said he would like people that have experience these surgery,
talk to families/people that are thinking about it.
He has great bedside manners and acknowledge,
but he doesn't have the personal experience
and doesn't always understand what people are going thru
or how to answer some of the questions.
I think it is a great idea and hope
and hope he does it.
I am so grateful we have him as a surgeron.








You really should get this post out there. I know a handful of families with children with microtia and seeing these pictures of the process and hearing your daughter's own process would be really helpful. Post it around!
ReplyDelete