The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Friday, December 20, 2013

Castaway Kid

Back in November my church
had a guest speaker.
This speaker name is
Rob Mitchell
and we wrote this book.
From the moment he started to talk
he had me captured.
He talked about
life since he was 3 years old and was taken to an
orphanage by his mom.
He talked about things that he did or things that
happen to him while being a young lad
in orphanage.
When we would speak about
a particular rule
or incident that would happen.
Erin would nod her head
and sign that that happen to her to
or similar things.
 
He talked about when he found God,
Truly found him.
He talked about questioning him
when he was struggling with his relationship with God.
I seen that with Erin earlier this year.
He struggled with understanding why God
was "allowing" these bad things happen to him.
Erin also questioned this before.
He talked about having to own up to his decisions and actions
which was very hard for him to do.
Erin was the same way, it took her a long
time to open her heart to God.
Rob talked about trusting God
and trying learning how to trust God.
Erin knows she can trust God
even if she feels she is backed in a corner.
 
After Church was done, I brought his book.
Jenny asked to read it right away and took her less then a day
to read it.  She couldn't put it down.
She had a lot of questions
good conversations.
Under normal circumstances
I wouldn't let an 10 year old read it,
But Jenny it is a different story.
 
I have also read it
and discuss parts of it with Erin.
When I would tell her about a incident
or situation that Rob wrote about
she would always say something
about her life in China
in the orphanage or
boarding at the deaf school.
 
I also talked to her about him having so much anger and rage
and how he learned to let it go and get it under control.
Erin had some anger times and
with therapy and learning,
she has gotten it under control.
 
Erin has been home just over 3 years.
Sometimes when she get frustrated or feels
she backed in the corner,
she will say things that she feels
will get me to react and before she was successful at times
and other times she wasn't.
Now she doesn't get me to react.
I am blunt with her and always reinforce to her that
it is her decision and she will need to live with that decision.
It took Erin awhile to understand that.
To understand that you are in control of your decisions.
 
I am amaze many times on how fortunate Erin is,
I have heard the stories and watched
Intervention at times
hearing their stories and hearing about
what Erin has endured before coming home
I am Grateful that
God stayed with her all the time,
even when she wasn't a believer at all
even when she was told to hate Jesus,
he stayed by her
held her until she felt safe.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment