The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Complications with Jenny's ear

Jenny is in need of prayers right now.
Pictures below are
not for weak stomach.
When Katie had her surgery, I was very on top of it.
Every little thing that I questioned
I called  or text the doctor.(had his personal cell number)
This time around,
I didn't.
and now I wished I did.
Wish I looked at the pictures more closely.
To realize the change that happen.
 
Jenny ear 5 days post-op  She just got the 
drains taken out.
I was concern of the reddness in the different spots of the ear
and the little blister like on top of the ear.
Dr. wasn't concern.
The incision was how
he put the 3 beautiful (his words) rib cartilage in.
You can see a raised area under the skin.  That is the cartilage.
 

 Another angle 5 days post-op
With Katie, he had me put aquap*r on
her ear for 2 weeks after the drains came out.
With Jenny he didn't have me to.
So I didn't look at the ear as much.
Now I wish I did.
This past Tuesday (13 days post-op)
Jenny told me scratched her ear because it was itchy
(Both Katie and Jenny complained of itchy ear.)
This is the picture I had taken and was going 
text it to the MD, but decided not to
because it wasn't red, it wasn't tender,
it wasn't draining hardly at all and didn't look swelling much
because Katie's ear was more swollen for a long time,
had forgotten that Jenny's wasn't as swollen much.
Put some antibiotic ointment on it
and told her to wear the protective cup on it 
to keep her from itching it.
Wish I looked at her previous picture.
 This is today 
after the doctor cleaned it out.
Was so sadden for Jenny
after hearing what he had to say.
And kicking myself to one end to the other.

When he cleaned the scab off,
he saw her cartilage exposed.
 And deliver what can 
potentially crushing news.
She as the possibility of losing the 
cartilage and having it all 
removed.
It just broke me.

So now it scrambling time.
He took 4 tissue cultures and sent them in for STAT Lab.
Put her on a strong dose of Antibiotics
and Bactrob*n ointment at all times,
but doesn't want it cover.
Attempting to get an appt with infectious Disease doctor.
Schedule Surgery for Tuesday to close the incision....
IF....
The tissue culture comes back without any BUGS in it.
IF there are BUGS in it, 
depending what kind,
They might not be able to save the cartilage.    

The guilt has preoccupied me since
receiving this news 7 hours ago.
hindsight is always 20/20.

Now taken a deep breath, 
said prayers
and will continue to say prayers
To pray for Jenny Ear.


2 comments:

  1. praying for Jenny and that you guys receive the best new possible soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not blame yourself. Infections can crop up very quickly. Itchiness is generally a sign of healing. Hind sight is always 20/20 for a reason. We do not always know what we know. Also, the same surgery can progress differently in different people. Prayers to Jenny and you. Please do not be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete