The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Sunday, April 3, 2011

If you are in a cave, you need to get out

Today's at church was week 5 talking about Elijah.  It spoke about Elijah going into a cave to rest and God questioning him on that.  As the pastor talked about this "cave", he made many references about there are many caves in our world.  Whether it is stress, pressure, unresolved things, depression, despair,etc.  That you need to do something to get out of that cave, doesn't matter how small the change is, you need to change it.  Today was Erin's first time going to Church in America.  Originally she was going to church because we were going to the water park afterwards, I was using the waterpark as a "bribe"  to get her not give me any grieve about going.  But when her plans fell through (her friend broke her collarbones and then something personal came up with Erin, that kept her from able to go), I told her she still had to go to church, I was expecting some sort of negative reaction from her as when I have talked about Church, God or Jesus in the past and very recently she gives me the looks of disgust.  This time she didn't other then when she found out what time we had to leave.  The interpeter did a wonderful job.  A couple of times, Erin looked at me confused when we kept standing and sitting.  About 15 minutes left of the Pastor talking, I could sense Erin was getting edgy, she was shifting a lot in her seat and her body language was saying I dont' want to be here or I don't like this.  When it was all done, she looked at me and said now what.  I was taking the younger girls to the waterpark still and my brother and his family were planning to have her with them for the day.  I said well I wanted to visit for a little bit with my brother before we leave, and she was ok with it.  I haven't asked her how she felt about church yet, I thought I would give it a couple of days to let her think about it.  One of the things I have learned with Erin, if she is put in an uncomfortable situation  or talk about something that makes her uncomfortable, she will put the walls all up and then start having the "I don't care" attitude and I don't want that to happen this time.  I am so thankful that she finally went to church, and that she didn't act up.  Like the pastor was saying about the "cave", I hoping Erin will find her way out of the cave and into Jesus's waiting arms, to feel his love and how powerful his love is.  She had a lot of fun with my brother and his family (she saw the circus again) and I had a lot of fun with the younger girls, my neice Cassie and her boyfriend Koudai.  I miss her though since she was so excited to go to the waterpark, I did promise her we will go soon (probably not until June as my weekends that I am off are full until then).  We had a blast at the waterpark and the girls are growing up as I am feeling more comfortable with their growing independence.
Tonight Dave asked if I wanted a Culver ice cream, I said sure, he asked if Erin wanted one, I asked her and surprisly she said yes.  So he brought over ice cream for both of us, I told her to tell him thank you, which she did, it wasn't the most sincere but she did it. 
I had another part of this post I was going to write about, but Erin got into a talking mood (she doesn't have school this week), so I no longer have time to write tonight as I have to go to bed.  I am just thankful that I finally got her to go to church.  Thank you God.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am very happy to hear that Erin wanted to go to church. I see in your post above, that she wanted to attend a youth event. That's great news! I know God can do a work in her heart in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue,
    Keep loving her and Christ. She'll make the connection in her own time.
    God bless you and your family and I pray that the walls come down.
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete