The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thankful Thursday

How do I write a letter to my daughter that I never have met?
On Wednesday, Madison's (the one that has Erin's file) yahoo group, someone asked when they can send their child a care package, and with all the responses from the different people and Madison's staff, it varies, some say after you have your PA (Pre-Approval) which we have had since November and others say when you have your LOA (Letter of Approval) which you get after your dossier (all your required paperwork) in China. Madison stated after PA, so I emailed them personally and asked if we can send a care package to Erin and tell her about us, and they said "YES". They said send lots of pictures and so forth, so What do I write? Never thought I would be this nervous and scared about writing a letter. Would she understand what we are saying? Would we scare her telling her we are her parents and that she is going to have 3 little wild sisters and one big sister, many cousins and family friends, that she is now going to a family. With her being close to 13, she will probably understand a lot. What do we send her besides pictures of us? Have her younger sisters draw pictures? Any suggestions?
Thank you Madison for the wonderful news, and thank you Lord for opening this precious door, with the waiting of each of the steps, it feels unbearable at times, this will help bring us closer to her. Any suggestions from anyone that has been there done that with an older child?
The Lord is amazing and always knows when someone needs a little (or major) picker upper.

4 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the pressure you're feeling. The only thing I would suggest is to send pictures of EVERYTHING in your immediate existence. Obviously, all of your pictures, but detailed pictures of your home, your community, the school she may be attending. I would imagine this may ease the waiting for her as well as the eventual culture shock. It may give her something tangible to hold on to for this long wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Portia, didn't even think of the community and possible school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean I have not sent a care package to our daughters yet- I have waited for our LOA but that is what our agency encourages. I also am a little nervous to do it (and busy).

    I plan to send them matching shirts and sweatshirts (on sale!) I decided against pants because I do not know their size. A double jump rope, two bouncy balls, two multi colored pens with two little notebooks and two little stuffed animal inside little purses- you can see it when you come over! Oh ya, and candy! I don't like to send candy it just causes more cavities BUT what's done is done and we will deal with it once they get home.

    Most importantly the photo album of our family, their room, the house, dogs, more family, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, This is really great news! You could send Erin pictures and info every few weeks, maybe even with an album or something she can continue to add to. It would be something she would look forward to and also show consistency on your part..pictures drawn by the younger ones would be priceless or even a handmade craft or something that is special from the parents would be wonderful! So glad that things are progressing, even if it is slower that you would like it to be. Erin knows you love her and are trying to have her home as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete