Poor Erin, she just not have a good past week. She complained of eye being sore at school on Wednesday and we took her to the doctor. Doctor said she either has pink eye or allergic to her mascara. Gave her drops and said get rid of the old mascara and buy new one and not let her put it on until her eye no longer bothers her. She also said Erin's glands were a little swollen so she probably is getting a cold. Today she went to school lasted for an hour and asked to come home. Dave and I weren't sure how to handle this once she got home. The rule in our house is if you are sick and your siblings are around, you are in your room, you can have books, and stuff. If you are sick during the school hours then you can be out in the living room on the computer or watching a movie. So the girls are off from school and I didn't want to make Erin go to her room after what we just have been through this past weekend. So it was decided that I would leave with the girls until my appt this afternoon. Erin spend(and still spending) time of the computer. Dave and I talked before I got home and we decided for this time she could stay out here because she would just be sitting on the computer in the corner of the living room.
Some positive steps this week:
Erin asked Dave to read to her (I was home and she has never asked him to read to her if I am at home). After he read her "The Foot Book" ( he practiced that one, so if she asked him to read, he would know how to sign that), when he was done she said good signing...first time for that too.
Erin has been saying more please and thank you.
Erin isn't getting mad as soon as someone doesn't understand what she is saying.
Erin is allowing hugs from me, she isn't really giving me a hug back, but she is allowing them again
Erin is being nicer to her sisters.
These are all steps forward and I Thank the Lord. I know that we will continue to have bumps in the roads, but we focus on the good stuff and take what we can get and continue to pray that we will have more good stuff (which we do) then bumps in the road.
Today I met the therapist that will be seeing Erin. I gave her an overview on what it has been like since we got Erin and told her about this past week. We had a good initial meeting and she feels I did the right thing contacting them and also that I seeked out others during this ordeal. She did mention that she felt it was best to not keep Erin in a hug like I did Saturday night until we have a better understanding what her life was like before she was adopted. She felt if Erin is suffering from any PSTD, that it could make it worse. But otherwise said it was good that we tried different things to see what we can do. She did say for us to do what we have been as far as rules, consquences and so forth, but in some spot might be more laxed with her for now. I felt a lot better after talking to her and hope that if there are struggles (more then just adjustment) with in her that the therapist will help her work thru it.
What has been going on with Erin is now having an impact on the younger ones, they have been acting out this weekend and saying things they wouldn't normally say. I did have a talk with them again about Erin and what to expected. I know at their age it is hard for them to understand this.
I tried to take a picture of Erin tonight, just so you could see here puffy eyes, but she wouldn't let me. ]
Thank you everyone again for the support, suggestions and ideas you gave me during the trying time with Erin last week
1 year ago

Sue- you are doing such a great job! We cannot fix our children but we can help them through prayer and through resources that are available to us.
ReplyDeleteYou just keep on trying and keep problem solving, you are awesome!
Hang in there dear friend!
It all takes time...
Sounds like a lot of progress in many ways. So glad for you, Sue.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear of the good things that are happening with Erin. Any progress is good progress!
ReplyDeleteHow great that you were able to meet with her therapist. So good for you to get some time to talk to her and get some feedback too.
I hope Erin's eyes are better soon.