The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The 3 R's

Things are clicking
Things are making sense
Follow the Rules
Show Respect
Get positive Response.

Ever since I became a mom to Monika, I along with Dave have taught our daughters about God,  following the rules, showing respect to one another and to one another property and you will get positive response, some freedom and independence.  It has almost been 8 years since Dave and I started our family and this has worked for us majority of the time. They have learned so much about our amazing God and sometimes even correct me when I say something wrong about God or Jesus.   They have learned they follow the 3 R's, we trust them more and they get to have more control of some their decisions.

Now Erin, she has struggled with the since the day she joined our family.  We are now going onto 5 months on Feb. 5.  I have written many times about her struggles along with ours about her following rules, being respectable.  But both of us are learning, she learning how to be part of a family as I am learning how to raise a beautiful daughter that needs a lot of love and teaching.  I am thankful to have God and Jesus in my corner along with everyone else.  These last couple of weeks, I feel things are really starting to click for all of us.  She is understanding rules a lot better, even when she doesn't like them, she has a better idea why they are there.  She is trying to be more respectable to me and the house.  She is asking a lot of questions and asking for permission on a lot of things.  She is also realizing that we are not the mean old strict parents, that if she follows the rules, she can also have choices and freedom.  I also feel she is learning what it is like to be loved.  We have taken many steps forward and backwards, we have our ups and downs, our laughter, smiles along with the frustrations, yet she knows we still love her.  I know when she is ready, she will be comfortable with giving Dave and I hugs, and saying good night and so forth to us.  She is starting to be appreciative to things people do for her, she is saying please and thank you more, she smiling and laughing more, she is approaching me and being talkative to me.  I think we are going to make.   Praise the Lord.






Katie took this picture tonight of me reading to Monika.  Over Christmas, Monika asked if we could read the "Warriors" series together, so a couple nights a week we curl up together and read.  Jenny and Katie didn't have interest in the book.  The blanket on Monika is from her Great Grandfather, he made it when he was 94 years old.  Monika has very strong connection to him, she told me he died before I knew about it.  She also was worry on her 4th birthday he was going to died.  He died 24 minutes after her birthday and told me that before I got the phone call from my parents. 

Katie is spending a lot of time on her head.  Now that she is in pre-competition gymnastic, she is allow to do more things including spending a lot of time on her head like Monika does.  Her coaches are amazed on how fast she is catching on to things and exceeding.  She is a great homework kid, she will do it pretty quick after she gets home from school and doesn't need to be told to  do it, and she loves to write a lot.  She continues to be the laughable huggie child.

Jenny is being more challenged at school and home now.  She is proud to have homework like Katie and Monika and ask many questions about writing sentatance and asking to explain more about things.  She seems to be happier.  She enjoying her dancing and is happy to have a "activity" like all of her sisters.  She is also my little kitchen helper, she will be the first one to help cook meals and is starting to remember how some things are cooked.

Jade is finishing up her 4 week one class schedule, they have this class Monday thru Friday for a couple of hours for a month.  She has had more time to do other things on campus and with her friends.  She really is enjoying St. Olaf.

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear of some bright spots. Hang in there Sue, you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, its great that you post the highs and the lows. What a process, I hope we do as well as you have. congrats on your current success. Your girls sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete