11 months ago
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Relationships
People have been working with Erin on relationships. Both on how people are connected (family, friends) and how to treat someone you are in a relationship with (in terms friends, mom, dad, siblings, family, etc.). Tonight I was helping her with her homework, that had to do with a timeline. With us not knowing much about Erin past as she seems to not remember anything before 9/10 years old, most of our time line was from 4 months ago to now. She brought up her friend Kennedy, then preceeded to tell me that she hasn't heard from her or seen her on qq. I explained to her that Kennedy's parents didn't want her on qq to much right now because she is adjusting to America and didn't want her worrying about what is going on back in China (I agree with them, it is different with Erin being on qq because she mainly plays a farmville game and watch Korean movies, with an occasion convservation as she doesn't really know how to type pinyin). I mentioned that her parents don't want Kennedy be exposed to anything bad right now seeing she is doing so well in America. Erin then said how far is it to see Kennedy, I told her it is around 20 hours of driving (I don't know for sure but it is a long ways), she asked if we could go see her sometime soon, I said well I have to talk with her parent's first. I also mentioned to Erin that her negativity talk about us and her sisters, I dont't think Kennedy's parents want Kennedy to hear about that. Erin got mad and said, that fine then, I have new friends, I don't need Kennedy. Seeing how Erin reacted with that little bit that I said and was quick to "hurt" Kennedy before anyone can hurt her, I tried to explain to her that Kennedy is her friend and that just because she doesn't like her family doesn't mean that is the same for Kennedy and other kids adopted. I was caught off guard on how fast she said Kennedy wasn't her friend anymore just because I said her parents don't want Kennedy to be exposed to any negativity at this time. Erin is so quick to judge and to put that wall up around her the minute she thinks someone is mad at her or she gets mad at someone. I have been praying to God tonight and looking for guidance on how to show/teach Erin that she can't just end a friendship (I truly believe she didn't mean it and that she is still Kennedy's friend, she just reacts fast) just by one comment that she didn't like or one action and so forth, there isn't many kids in her school and I already know she has complained to them about how horrible Dave and I are. Today is 4 months and one days since we saw Erin the first time. Even through these challenging times with her, there are the fun loving tender moments that we do have with Erin. She is very smart girl that has been hurt to many times and needs a lot of TLC, partients and parents that love her no matter what when on those days when she is being absolutely impossible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment