The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Friday, January 28, 2011

An interesting Article

A good friend (thank you Meryl), sent me this article: An interesting article about older children adpotion   Some of the things the women wrote about is similiar in our situation.  Come Feb. 5 We will have Erin in our family for 5 months.  There has been times (during the two big meltdowns) when I have question if we would be able to parent Erin like we do with the other 4 girls, could I love her like I love the other 4 girls or would I just end up tolerating her and showing her what is love but not really truly loving her and figure when she is 18 years old she would move on in life.  Her and Dave's relationship is so similar to Anna and her dad's.  They had made babysteps in some way towards a hopeful positive relationship.  These last two weeks my feelings have very slowly been changing around Erin, She is becoming more open with me, talking to me just to talk vs talking to me because she needs or wants something.  She is getting better about the 3 R's (see previous post).  Everyone tells me, give it time, it could take 6 months to a year or not more for her to bond, she just pushing you, she doesn't know how to love, she has survival skills, etc.  Yes I know all that, yes I did my reading and research, and Yes I made some mistakes in these 5 months with her, but when you are living in it and being constantly told by her that she hates you, that she doesn't like you, that she wants a new mom and dad, etc, it does get hard especially when you have other children that can't begin to understand why their older sister "hates them, their mom and dad".  But with Jesus, God, family, friends (personal and cyber), I have stuck it out and no I never thought of disrupting the adoption because I could see Erin had a very sweet loving side in her.  She showed it to others, I just had to have faith and hope that she would show it to me, Dave and her sisters.  She now is showing it to me, and as she is starting to bond with me, hopefully I can help her learn that her dad is a great guy.  She is doing a lot better with her sisters too.  Reading this article struck home at many different levels. It helps to read about people experiences and the outcome whether it is good or bad. 

7 comments:

  1. Glad you found this article and found some renewal, Sue. We have three bio children and one adopted and the third bio child gave me headaches and nightmares throughout her teenage years. She regularly rejected me and talked to me through her father, my husband. It is so hard, as you see, when you're in it, to remember everything you're supposed to know and do as an "adult". Sometimes they are just tough years. Adoption and communication barriers make it even more complicated for you. Keep up the good work.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting article Sue, thanks for sharing it.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Sue. I'm so thankful to hear this. Sending up prayers for you and Dave and all your precious girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm proud of you for what you're accomplishing with your beautiful girl. I can't imagine how hard it is to "wait" for her to show affection, respect, and etc. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really sounds like you're doing a great job with Erin. Even Libby, who was only 19 mo. when we adopted her, has had difficulty attaching to us. It took at least 2 months before I felt like she looked at us as her parents and not just another set of caregivers. I still sometimes see signs that she's not completely open to us and trusting. I can only imagine how difficult it is for a 13 year old in the same situation. God knew who the best parents for Erin would be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the article too- it was great, informative, interesting and helpful!

    You are doing an wonderful job- hang in there and keep moving forward!

    Praying for all of you!
    Hugs,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you read the Part 2 follow-up to that article?

    http://www.rainbowkids.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=731

    ReplyDelete