The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Erin is 14 years old now

This past Saturday we had a surprise party for Erin as she was turning 14 on Tuesday the 3rd.  She knew there was a party, but didn't know why.  She thought it was just us having some friends over to hang out. My sister and her family took Erin last morning and brought her back at the time the party started.  I had only invited one of her friends, because Erin was having a hard time with this birthday,both Dave and I's family came too along with a friend of my that Erin connected with.  She kept telling me and others that she didnt' want to be 14, she never would say why, but you could tell something was bugging her.  About a week before hand, it dawned on me that maybe she was nervous, because in China, 14 has a huge negative aspect if you are a orphan.  Eventhough Erin knew that she wasn't going to be put out on the streets like she would have been if she was still an orphan in China.  She also didn't know what to expect here when turning 14.  I did my best to reassure her that it is ok to be 14.  Normally for the girls birthday parties, they get to pick what kind of food they want, seeing it was a surprise, I made food that Erin likes...so we had bbq chicken wings, turkey ham, cold shrimp, jello, potato chips, strawberries, watermelon, grapes, pineapples, picachio nuts, vanilla and lemon pudding and a homemade cake and cupcakes.

I am explaining to Erin what this party is about, she kept saying no to me that she didn't want to be 14 years old, after myself, her friend KT (sitting on the chair next to her) and my sister explaining to her over and over, she got teary eyed, I am not sure if it due to not wanting to be 14 or because she finally understood what we were telling her.

Monika and Jenny recorded themselves signing "Happy Birthday" to Erin.  I wished Monika wouldn't have earsed it as it was very cute.  You can tell the Erin liked it.

When the cake was brought out, Erin didn't want to blow the candles out, she kept saying no.  One of my friends had her 3 year old neice there and she was trying to grab the lighted candles, it took a lot of coaxing to get Erin to blow the candles out

She finaly did it....

Gift time.  She liked all of her gifts (we were very lucky on that as she is picky)

Dave and I gave her a ripstick, she has been saying she wanted one since she was in China.  She was happy she got it, she got a little smile going, but she still wasn't sure what to think about all of this.

Erin is an pro at the ripstick

Erin trying to teach her friend how to us the ripstick which requires a lot of balance

Giving Jenny help

Of course Monika needed to get into it to.

Monday night, I showed Erin and her sister's the donuts I have broughten for her birthday morning.  The girls thought it was pretty cool that they get donuts too, until Monika made a statement that it wasn't fair that Erin gets donuts on her birthday and we don't.  After a little dicussion, we got that all situated.  Erin stated she had a good day at school and was smiley when she got home.  This was her first birthday she ever celebrated and it was in Ameria when she got to celebrate it.  I said a little prayer as she was blowing out her candles.  I prayed that she will open her heart to God and accept not all men are horrible people.
Tonight is the last time for the teen hang out at Church.  Erin attend for 4 weeks and I wish she had a lot more time before the summer.  I am hoping she will be looking forward in going back to this again in the fall.  Before bedtime last night, Erin needed to try to "pick a fight with me", Monika came out of her room crying (she is missing her cats (2 of them left us in 2005 when she was 3 and Gizzy died in 2007), I was holding on to her and signing to Erin at the same time.  Monika gave me some kisses and hugs as I was doing the same to her, Erin started drilling me about why do her sisters kiss and hug me all the time and why do others do that, each time I explain something she would come back with another comment or observation or questions.  I was starting to get defensive when she kept "attacking" Dave and I.  I finally told her to go to bed and that I was done talking to her because of the way she was acting, she didn't understand what I meant and as I tried to explain it to her, I could tell I was getting more irritated as she didn't seemed to be really listening to me, or she didn't care what my answer was, she was already ready for the next question, so I excused myslef and when I came back out into the living room, she was sleeping.  It does make me sad to know that she has no clue on how we celebrate birthdays in America and that it is a special day.  I am just thankful that she didn't turn 14 in China.  Praise the lord

3 comments:

  1. Happy 14th birthday to Erin! I am so glad she has a forever family with you guys. You are all very blessed to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Erin. This is your special day. Kau'i says hello.

    ReplyDelete