The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Friday, May 27, 2011

Kung Fu Panda 2

 Today I took my 3 younger girls along with my neice and nephew to see Kung Fu Panda 2.  I had not read anything about the movie, but figure it would be similar to the first one.  If you don't want to know what the movie is about, stop reading this post and skip to the previous one which is about Monika 8th gotcha date.
This movie was about saving a village from a villian, just like most movies are.  While they were saving the village "Po" the panda bear was having some flashback on the day that he was abandon/left.  This caused Po to want to find out where he came from and who he and his parents are, certain things about the villian triggered his memory as a baby.
This beautiful peacock played the "villian", she the one that caused Po's parents to make the decision they did.  Po's dad told Po's mom to run with Po while he fight the villian crew.  As the mom was running, they were ganging up on her, so she made the decision to hide her baby panda and call the attention on herself so her baby could be safe.  It never showed what happen to the mom, but it show how the duck found Po as a baby and making the decision to raise him as his own son.
I have been very open with my children and their story.  The word "abandonment" is used along with "they left you here" or you were "found here".  I have told them I don't know the reason their parents didn't or weren't able to keep them and so forth.  After the movie was done, I asked the kids if they liked it, they all said yes and my girls said Po was just like them, He was adopted too, and that it didn't matter that he was a panda bear and the dad was a duck, they still loved each other and were daddy and son. I have had a couple of people mention to me that they heard there could be some negative towards adoption or could stir up some issues with adoptive children.  I felt this movie did a good job, that it could open the door for my girls to have more questions and that they know it is ok to talk about their stories.  I also understand that kids might think that is why their parents had to give them up was because of the villian. 

2 comments:

  1. Jon just took the boys to see it this afternoon - I'll be excited to hear what they think about it. They loved the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aidan, my almost five year old grandson and I went this morning; I thought it was better than the first one. Loved the reassurances by people that who he was was who he is today. We went to a sensory showing, which means that the theater was open for families with children with sensory problems (10:00). I didn't know, but they let us in anyway, warning us that the kids might talk during the film-I thought that was perfect! Then I wouldn't have to say "shush" if the boys got excited.

    Great way to start Memorial Day weekend!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete