The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Need a big big prayer

Erin learning about her hearing aides
Putting it in

She got one in and can hear (that is after she heard, I wasn't fast enough with the initial reaction)

learning to put the battery in


See the pink earmold...

Today was a big day for Erin.  She had picture day at school and what she has on in the pictures is what she wore.  She didn't want to dress up at all.  I tried to get her to wear her "bangs" down, but she did't want to because she had gym.  After school, we picked her up and went to the U of M for her hearing aides.  We didn't get an interpeter this time (we thought we had one, but there was a miscommunications), so I did it and was a lot more comfortable with it.  The hearing aides that Erin got are not the powerful ones that the audiologist wanted, but for now it is a start.  Since we have them on loan for 6 months, we are not to worry about it.  With these hearing aides she wasn't able to get the loudness needed for all the frequencies.  As soon as those kind of hearing aids come available, she will change them out.  When the right ear hearing aid was in, the audiologist made some sound, and Erin smiled.  Dave did some clapping behind her and she looked funny at the  audiologist as the audiologist wasn't speaking or anything, Erin realized it was coming from somewhere else and looked behind her to discover it was Dave.  So now we have to work on seeing if these hearing aides will be usuable to be able to understand what the "noise" and words are.  If not, then we will explore the option of does she want to keep them to hear sounds even if it isn't words.  She did say to us at times tonight, I heard that, sometimes she knew what created the sound she heard and other times she didn't have any clue.
As you may have recalled in recent previous blog postings about patiences and Erin's patience and so forth.  Well I need a huge huge prayer.  Starting in June I put "Sun it" in the girls hair, it turns their hair reddish brown and even gave Monika some blonde.  When Erin first came to us, she asked a lot of questions about their hair and told me that she wanted to keep her hair black, then when she met Jade she kept saying about the two of them have black hair and the rest have reddish brown hair.  Last night she informed me she wanted the reddish brown hair like Monika for picture day today (Part of the Patience I was asking for in the previous post), I told her it doesn't work that way, she didn't want to take that as the answer, so this morning she put it in, blow dried her hair and it wasn't that color.  I explained it to her again.  So tonight, I put it in and blow dried her hair.  You can see just a tinge of red in some areas, and she again asked me about it being the color she wants it in the morning.  If you remember, I was blamed by her for her haircut eventhough she insisted on it (and still blames me).  Now we are going to change the color of her hair, which it won't "grow out" as fast as the bangs.....so huge prayers for her to like her "new" hair color once it is done....otherwise I will be blamed until the day I die.
Tonight Dave and I had a talk with the 3 younger girls about things going on in the house.  Again Patience.....I think they have a better understanding on things.  And when I brought Monika to gymnastic tonight, we were talking a little bit about being kind to people and so forth, she started to whimper and said sometimes it is so hard to be nice to people, but God made me that way and I can't change it.  I informed her that God made her a kind, loving, caring person.  She makes the decision on how to act with her behavior and actions.  She tried to argue a little bit on that, but realized no use.


2 comments:

  1. When Anna first got her loaner hearing aids (we managed to string them out for a year because of the new law at the time requiring insurance companies to cover aids for kids) we actually spent the first year teaching her to learn to listen for imput rather than just watching. Anna was only 2, so I would think it will take awhile for Erin. Good luck. What is Erin's official hearing listed as? Anna's is moderate-severe, but actually goes to profound in her worse ear at the higher pitches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Camille got her hearing aids in May (she was 5 at the time) they made a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete