The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sensational Sunday

The entrance of the Apple Orchid

Wagon Ride, first for Erin.

Making our way to the Corn Maze and pumpkin yard

going thru the corn maze, looking for 8 letters, once we found the letters, we had to figure out what it spelled.  It end up as being "Buy Local".

Jenny enjoying her prize.  We each got an apple for free because we figure out what the 8 letters speleed which was "buy Local"




Dave working with Erin on speaking

After church today, I had decided to take the girls to the apple orchid before my CNY meeting.  Erin was on the computer and was stating she didn't want to go.  I asked her nicely a couple of times to go and get shoes on, she just shaked her head at me and said no.  I asked her if she wanted to spend all day on the computer and not learning or seeing new things, she said she didn't want to spend all day on the computer, but didn't want to go out wthh us.  I said that is fine,that dad and Jade are home (they were still sleeping), I walked away and she followed pretty quick and was fine with going out.  We had a blast at the apple orchid and Erin enjoyed herself.

Monika before we left for the apple orchid was eating a fruit snack when she all of sudden realized that her tooth that was lose was no longer in her mouth.  She didn't even notice when it felled out.  She was so disappointed that her tooth was missing.  Did ask if the tooth fairy will still come, which I said yes.  Before she went to bed she wrote this note to the tooth fairy that said: "Dear tooth fairy, I lost my tooth when I was eating my fruit snacks.  I swollowed it.  I am sorry.  Please left something.  Love Monika, then the second piece of paper showed this:
It is a good thing the tooth fairy is understanding about teeth being swallowed.  Dave told her that she will have to look in the toilet for it.

Tonight at supper, we had bbq pork and Erin had made her mind up before even cooking it, that she wasn't going to eat it, that she doesn't like it.  Dave put a bite on her plate, she ate it with a lot of fuss.  Then she asked Jade if she liked it, Jade saying yes. Erin then said she won't eat meat because she was told eating meat makes you fat and pointed to Dave and said you eat meat and you are fat.  I said what about me and Jade did too, and she told us that it was different.  In China Erin ate meat all the time, so I am not sure if she is trying to control the situation or she ate so much of it in China because it was in a familiar setting.  We had some good laughs at the table about what causes fat and so forth.  Then Erin said to Dave, tomorrow while I wait for the bus, you can run around (she was saying in a circle but referring to the block) 20 times and you will get thinner each day you do that.  Dave agreed that he would get thinner if he ran, she then wanted to pinky swear with him, he wouldn't which caused us to all laugh again.

Erin didn't wear her hearing aides today, she said it was just to noisey and it bother her.  I told her I understood that, but if she is going to learn anything with them, she needed to keep them in.  She agreed with me, but she wasn't to happy about it.  Once she had them in, Dave worked with her saying the letters and numbers 0-10 and then a couple simple letters.  She did very well considering this was the first time speaking english.  She has a high pictched voice though.  You could understand most of the letters and Dave taught her "mom" ,"dad", "Cat", "dog", she got a smacking tongue as she finish saying the word.  She also told us some more about her "history" with her hearing, which open a lot of questions.  Erin also completed her first project for school.  Her and Dave worked on it, and she learned somethings and has a better idea where she lives, and where two of her friends from the orphanage live in USA.  She has to give a speech on it at school.

2 comments:

  1. The orchard and maze look like a great time. Sounds like Erin is a pretty typical defiant teen/pre-teen. Can't imagine having to deal with the attitude and lack of communication skills (you) or the changes and the lack of communication skills (her) all at once. Must be overwhelming at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that the tooth fairy still came to Monika.
    We have a meat issue in our household with Miss D too. Yes, she did eat meat in China but has no problem telling me that we don't cook the meat good. Lol
    We have tried it every way, thin, thick, seasoned, sauces etc. She does however like bbq ribs.
    Miss D also has no problems telling me that I need to exercise more to get rid of my two chins and stomach. Lol She is a work in progress when it comes to using the correct words so to be a little sensitive to people instead of just coming out with the word fat etc.

    ReplyDelete