The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Childhood memories

My dad likes to keep things, sometimes I think he likes to keep to many things.    When I was growing up before all the electronic gadgets (Am I really that old already?), we played outside almost all day long especially in the summer time.  During the winter time, we stayed outside as long as we possibly could.  We had two snowmobilies, sleds, ski (not the kind that you us at ski slopes).  My dad this week pulled out my old red ski's that I had when I was the girls ages.  Jenny was all gamed for it and jumped on them and tried to ski down the hill.  Eventhough she didn't make it down all the way on one shot, each time she got a little further.
I think I think I think I can



Trying it without poles.

Jenny kept at it




Katie now working at it.  Koudai helping her along.  Katie made it all way down the hill in 2 tries.  Way to go Katie.
Monika and Katie getting free rides up the hill.  Koudai a great puller
Celebrating Koudai's birthday (it at the beginning of Jan,)
Koudai and Cassie.

While the girls and Koudai were sledding, I took Jenny and Katie out on the snowmobile.  First took Katie and we went on some of the trails, then came back and got Jenny.  By the time we got back everyone else where in the house.
When I was growing up, my parents used to go snowmobiling with friends and neighbors, by the time I was old enough to remember anything, they had disbanded, but my parents would go to a friends place up north and take me snowmobiling.  We would be gone all day, stopping at bars to warm up and eat.  As I was out on the trails with my two girls, I had many reflections of this and it warmed my heart.  I hope I am able to past these kind of memories onto my girls.  I have also been teaching my girls the love of board and card games, they all enjoy playing cards and board games, sometimes so much that they are tiring me out.  The enjoy reading especially Jenny.  I am trying a new tradition with the 3 younger girls to read out of loud to them before bedtime, I used to do this before they started school, since school started, they at first had me read them a book and now they read by themselves and write a little report each day (except for Jenny who just has to read).  I brought the first book in a series called "warriors" and started to read that to them together.  I wasn't sure how they would react to it, but they are really enjoying it.  I started this last week while they are on break, so next week will be interesting as they start back to school.  Katie now will be in gymnastic 3 days a week like Monika, but luckily the same times except for Saturdays where Monika will train a 1/2 hour longer.  Jenny will be starting dancing again at a new studio that friends of ours daughter goes. 

2 comments:

  1. Sue, we must be thinking the same things over a distance. I took Aidan sledding today, first at our house and then at my mother's house and was thinking of what an idyllic childhood I had. His won't be the same, but I hope that it is just as good, and part of that will be sharing things like sledding, skiing, etc., with him. Looks like you all had a great time!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful childhood memories are the best arn't they! Certainly makes you appreciate them even more when we have children whose memories are not so lovely.
    I'm sure your children will have many wonderful memories that you as a family create.
    Hugs and prayers to you
    Jules & Family

    ReplyDelete