The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A precious gift

My neice and her husband have been waiting for this precious gift to arrive.  She was due last week.  Saturday she went in the hospital.  He wasn't ready to be born yet.  They did a stress test on her and things were looked good.  Tuesday night she went to the hospital to check in to be induced this morning.  They did a stress test on her and they discovered the baby was in distressed, she had an emergency c-section.  Ethan was born at 8:53PM weighing in at 8 pounds and 5 ozs and 21 1/4 inches long.  He was having some problems breathing initially and then they discover his hgb was a 3.  They airlifted him to the city.  I got to see him today and take these pictures. 
He got his daddy's nose

His strong hand that will accomplish many things

Feet that will carry him anywhere in this world

God precious child.  He is doing good.  He is still in critical condition but stable.  My neice is recovering good.  She is hoping to get out of the hospital in a couple of days to come down and be with Ethan until he is discharged from the hospital.  Ethan was transfused to help bring his hgb back up.  When I saw him today, it made me appricate more giving blood.  I have the universal blood type and been told that they use it mainly with newborns and ER victims and they can't do the cross type in an emergency.  I had just given blood last Thursday.
God is watching over Ethan and Jessica.  Please say a prayer that they both continue to get stronger.
This morning I was telling my younger girls and my neice and nephew about Ethan being born.  Monika asked me if Ethan was white (mommy is white) or black (daddy is Jamacian).  I explained to her about her cousin that also has one white and one black parent.  Monika then proceeded to say well I am cinnimonin color, so he will probably be dark then me.  I said more then likely.  This afternoon when they got home, I showed them these pictures.  Monika said he is white.  I had to explained that babies are born white and in a few days he will start changing colors.  She thought that was really cool that humans can change colors. 
Erin was asking me who Ethan was so I told her it was her cousin baby.  She hasn't meet Jessica yet as she lives 2 1/2 hours away.  I was doing the sign for cousin which has some similars to my neice Cassie (my sister's daughter) sign.  Erin said Cassie had a baby?  I said no.  She had just seen Cassie last Thursday and Cassie is very thin.  I tried not to laugh or anything with Erin.  I don't think she seen a pregnant person before or didnt' realize that person was pregnant.  So I tried to explain to her about being pregnant for 9 months and showed her some pictures of Jessica during the pregnancy. 

1 comment:

  1. One of mine was a preemie with tubes like this. Hope they are able to remove them soon and that all is well.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete