The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hong Kong and home sweet home

Our only full day in Hong Kong was packed with a full day of touring.  We started at the morning  with a nice breakfast and hanging out in the hotel room.  I worked on getting everything packed as I knew we would be out late and we were leaving early on Sunday.  The girls watched a movie while I packed.  We got picked up at 12:45 and headed out.  We ended up transferring two times before we actually started our tour an hour later.  We stayed in Kowloon district which from what I am understanding isn't part of the "main Hong Kong".  We first went to Man Mo Temple which was under construction.  We went inside and the inscents were so strong that we couldn't breath in there.  They had some cool ones that burned for 7
 days or 30 days, but potent.  We got 15 minutes there before boarding the bus.  We then headed to Victoria Peak.  We took the steel cable car up a very steep mountain which was cool the view was stunning.  They gave us 40 minutes to walk around which is much time at all.  We took some pictures and then went into the mall area to grab a quick bite to eat and it was time to leave.  We then headed to Aberdeen Fishing Village.  I thought we were going to walk around, but nope, we paid some money and got on a Sampan boat which took us on about a 20 minute tour showing us the different boats that were in the habor.  There were many different types of fishing boats, house boats and yachts.  It looked kinda funny seeing run down like boats right next to these huge beautiful yachts.  We then went to the Stanley market and was given only 30 minutes to shop, which was no time since there was shops on shops.  Back on the bus, we then got on the Star Ferry as the sun was setting.  It was a 8 minute ride around the bay to see the lited up hotels, off the ferry we go and quick walk over to see the old clock tower and then got to watch the Symphony of lights of Hong Kong.  We had the option to walk 10 minutes to and from the Avenue of stars, but we were all tired by then and very hot.  We were on the bus a lot too and we had a driver that loves fast breaks, so we were always having to brace ourselves.  We supposely stopped at Jackie Chan's house.  We were at the driveway and we looked up and all we saw were trees.  Hong Kong is very curvy streets and I think I saw his house from a distance.  We then walked a brisk walk to eat at a resturant called Jade Garden.  It's food was pretty good.  I can see why people like Hong Kong and I would like to go back and spend a little more time there in a less rush state.  Erin was crabby all day and didn't want to do anything.  She wanted to sit in the hotel room and just watch movies.  I know some of it probably due to language barrier, but we can communicate pretty good. 
On top of Victoria Peak, it was breath taking.....was a little hazy and foggy
Sampan boat, this is the kind of boat we rode in
Waiting for the light show to start
Erin room was decorated by her cousin Cassie and her boyfriend Koudai.  There were socks taped to the bed and hung from the ceiling.  The girls room also had some decorations and outside was a nice welcome home sign for us.
Sunday we got up at 6 to start the journey home.  We made it to the airport after 45 minute drive.  We get to the airport and didn't know where to go.  We asked a couple of people before we were told that we needed to go to Cathey pacific.  Once we got our stuff checked in, we ate at Burger king and got Erin Noodles from another resturant.  Katie started complaining that her stomach hurt and she didn't want to eat.  Not a good thing to hear.  We boarded the plane for a 4 hour flight to Toyko.  Everyone did well, and the girls all got a little play thing from stewards on Cathey Pacific.  We all had tv monitors too, so they watched movies.  We landed in Toyko and talked with AA personals to switch our seating assignments since they had us scattered all over.  They managed to put 4 together and 3 together for the long flight.  Dave, Monika, Jenny and Erin sat in one row and Cindy, Katie and I sat in the other row behind them.  Everyone did great, we all watched movies, and slept.  We arrived to Chicago and Monika wanted no part in waking up to get off the plane.  We all had backpacks on us, so we couldn't really carry her either.  She screamed and cried and carried on for about 40 minutes before snapping out of it and was fine after that.  We went thru customs and immigration without any problems.  We had to go thru security again, and Jenny's backpack was stopped.  She had a small screwdriver in her backpack that has been in there since we left MN, I didn't realize it was in there.  I was surprise we made it thru many securites without that being detected.  We hung out at the airport for about 4 hours before boarding the plane for a 50 minute ride to MN, I had Erin and Katie with me, Dave had Jenny and Cindy had Monika.  Monika was the only one that didn't nap.  It was so nice to arrive to MN, we had Jade, Dan and Cassie (Cindy's hubby and daughter), Dave's mom and our sister in law waiting for us.  We introduced Erin and hugged and said good by to Cindy and came home.  We visited with Jade for about 1/2 hour before Dave and Dave's mom brought her back home to College.  I got the girls ready for bed, unpacked 7 suitcases and then went to bed around 12:30.  I got up today at 8 to find Jenny sleeping on the couch.  Monika slept until 12:30, Katie slept until 12:50 and I woked Erin up at 2.  We had a low key day at home.  We introduced Erin to the Wii, and thought she would like the dance revolution one, but nope, she didn't want to play just watch.  After awhile the girls switched games when Erin decided she wanted to play.  At supper time, we had Chicken and rice, she took a little bit and told us she didn't like it and wanted ramen noodles again (she had those when she got up).  She looked at all of us weird for eating it, then came the grapes and we ate them with the skin on and she peeled hers and kept looking at us funny.  She doesn't really care for vegetables,eggs, milk products, so we are in for a long haul with food.  After supper we headed to target to buy a couple of things for her like long sleeve clothes as it is cool here now.  Dave took Jenny with him to find some food and I took the rest with me, Erin didn't really care to look at anything and we only left with undergarments and slippers for Erin, I don't think that will keep her to warm.  We got home and the girls got ready for bed.  Monika made two poster boards for school about her trip.  When she was talking about it, she tried very hard to sign for Erin, I think that made Erin feel good.  After the younger girls went to bed, Erin took a shower and came in the livingroom where Dave and I were.  She gave me a hug and said good night, I then motioned to Dave, she shooked her head no and gave me a dirty look, I said you don't have to hug him, just wave and again she shooked her head no and walked away.  I did follow her into her room and said you can be nice to Dad, he won't hurt you and you can say good night to him (she did in china when we were sharing a room, but the last two nights she won't acknowledge him at bedtime, she does a little bit otherwise).  I pray that I wasn't to harsh with her, but I also wanted her to know that she needs to be respectful and kind.  She has talked a lot about China and about the kids at school and orphanage.  One of the moms that brought her daughter home last July had sent me a bunch of picture last year of some of the different girls at the orphanage.  I was showing Erin the pictures, she freely would say I don't like this girl because she smoked or she got drunk or she stole things or she hit, she only liked a couple of the girls including the one that the pictures were from.  We were told by people that she wasn't afraid to speak her mind and they were telling the truth on that one.  It is now 12:30 in the morning and I am ready for bed.  Monika is still awake and is having a hard time falling asleep and she has school in the morning.  Going to be an interesting day I think.  It is nice to be home in our own house, but I also miss China as I feel it was the last for us, for many years.  The 5 years that it had been since we visit, china had changed so much and gotten so modernized.  What will it be like the next time we go?

2 comments:

  1. Wow...what a whirlwind you guys have been on the past few weeks. I"m glad you're all home safe and I can't wait to meet your new girl. by the way....we got our referral on Sunday so now we're officially in this together. :)
    Now, get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are at home now. I hope that things will go well as you all settle in.

    ReplyDelete