The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday Sept. 15, swearing in day


We decided we were going to brave the metro on our own and take it to the Island.  We had gotten directions from Jordan on the island.  So we planned to get up at 7, eat breakfast and head out early so if we got lost or something, we would have plenty of time to find our way by 10 when we needed to meet with our guide.  This hotel doesn't have an alarm, so we use Dave's watch, but it isn't that loud and we slept thru it.  Lucky my sister has been waking up around 6:45 all week, so she woke us up.  We got ready, head for breakfast and made our way to the metro station.  It took Dave a few minutes to figure out how to order the tokens.  We found the subway we were suppose to take, went on it to the stop we thought we were suppose to get off.  Got off, looked at the map to find the next subway we were suppose to get on and discovered that we could have taken the originally subway all the way, so we got back on and got off the stop right by the Island.  We then made a quick walk over and on the island we were.  Dave felt pretty proud that he managed to get us there without being lost once.  We arrived 20 minutes before needing to meet with our guide.  So Dave and my sister head to the bank next to the White swan and the girls and I stopped at the DVD store for them to pick out movies.  Erin picked out 3 movies and the younger girls each picked out a movie that we don't have yet.  I didn't have any money on me since Dave thought it would take 2 minutes at the bank (that is what it has been like the other times), it didn't happen, lucky he had money in his wallet, so I left the 4 girls in the record shop and went down a couple doors to the bank got the money and came back.  We met with the guide (late, which isn't good, since our track record for preparedness isn't that good).  The three families (one family declined to go) took a busy to the pearl/jade factory.  We brought some lower end pearls neckace/bracelets and earrings for the  girls.  We then went to a Jade store which we didn't buy anything.  Once finished there, we headed to Pizza Hut and had a nice meal.  Erin got something new off the menu and didn't like the cheese, so she switched with Monika.  This pizza hut isn't like ours.  We had a full restaurant like menu of many different type of foods.  It was nice to sit at the table with other adoptive families and talk.  We arrived back at the island and were informed we were going to do the famous red couch picture and waterfalls.  When we have done the other adoption we knew in advance of the pictures and got dressed up and so forth, not this time.  We had ½ hour to spare before leaving for the consulate appt.  So we ran over to Jordan, gave him a picture of Erin so he could do the stone edging for her.  For those of you that don't know Jordan, he talks a mile a minute and nonstop.  He is very bubbly and gets so excited when he sees you.  He got a good memory too.  While there, Erin comes to me and said she would like this or asked if she could have it (I can't remember her exact words), it was a cheap Barbie doll with a baby (not the white swan type), We gave her 300 yuans which is from a couple of friends of ours and told her she could buy what she wanted with that.  She was happy with that.  Tonight when she went to bed, she put them right next to her head, this was not something I expected from her.  We had to race back to the hotel because we couldn't get out of his shop.  There were 45 families going to the consulate.  I got to see my dear friend Nancy and her family.  I had hoped to spend time with them, but we haven't had much luck other then quick hugs and hi's.  We arrived, entered the big room and waited for Erin's name to be called.  We were one of the first ones called.  Once everyone was done, the gal gave a speech about adoption numbers and then said to tell the adoption community that they are not back logged or anything, so I have told you.  She even announced September birthdays and my friend Nancy's Lily is one of the September birthday.  What a special acknowledgement.  We all stood up, I couldn't sign fast enough to Erin to let her know what we were doing, so she played around and I had to tell her to stop twice.  She got pouty with me, so I made her sit down, she wasn't happy with me.  It was amazing to do this with my sister and friends there (when we went the last time, we weren't able to bring anyone with us.  It was just Dave, I, Katie and Jenny, my mom and Monika had to stay behind).  We got out of the consulate and took a picture of my friend Nancy's family and us.  My sister wasn't in the picture.  Since our hotel is close to the consulate we decided we would walk back.  I recognized a building and we went from there and managed to find our way without one wrong turn….WE ROCK…Got to the hotel, Jade's mom was waiting for us with bag and ½ of food for us and presents for the 4 girls.  She is so kind.  We headed out, got on the metro to the mall and ate at a Thai restaurant.  It was good and Monika ate really well.  Dave originally paid for supper because they gave him the bill, when Jade's mom found that out, she was not happy and made them give Dave back his money and she went and paid for it.  While we were waiting for the bill, she started to play games with the girls.  Katie taught her how to play this clapping game and she caught on really fast.  After that, Jade's mom showed the girls how to play rock, scissor, paper while sitting and using your legs/feet.  They had a lot of fun with it.  I normally wouldn't allow it, but felt I could bend the rules this time.  There is so much of Jade in her mom.  They even both twirl their hair in their fingers, they get easily excited and laughs readily.  Jade's mom is a fast walker, not Jade.  Some of the expressions her mom does we see in Jade too.  When we got back to the hotel, it was after 8.  Jade's mom wanted us to have a foot wash which I guessing is like a spa like thing.  Our hotel wouldn't do it because it was late, she wanted us to go to another place, but Dave told her no we needed to get the girls to bed, they were all tired from when they woke up.  She was persistence, but  Dave stood firm, as much as the 3 adults would have loved it, we needed to think of the girls.  So we said good night to her.  The last couple of pictures show the flexibility in the girls. Monika is in the blue and Katie is in the white shirt.

We did have a concern tonight with Erin, we have noticed that Erin eats really fast (I eat fast and she faster), and has to go to the bathroom at least once or twice and then again after we are done eating.  She will usually continue to eat after coming back to the bathroom.  I go with her to the bathroom but not in the stall, she doesn't spend much time in there.  She usually complains of her belly hurting before going in.  So I started to think that perhaps she is purging.  I spoke on line tonight with a friend that has a lot experience adopting 12-14 years olds from China and she said her kids all did it, that they eat so much and very fast because it has been ingrained in them that they might not get another meal, also they are trying so much new food and so forth, that their stomach can't handle it.  I felt a lot better about this.  I honestly don't know if she doing it or not, it was just a red flag that went up.

Erin also pointed out a couple of clothes she likes, so we are going to try to buy some tomorrow.  We have been told to try buy as much clothes as we can (we don't have a lot of money but have some) here because they fit better here.

My knee is doing a lot better, I still can't straighten it out all the way, but it doesn't hurt unless I try to straighten it out completely or turn/ misstep wrong.  My temp remains around 99.2 but don't feel sick at all and not tired, so I am not sure what is with that.  Cindy still is hurting with her leg.  Make sure you read the previous post for Tuesday as I am doing a double post tonight. 

All the girls were tired today, so they were more on the pouty/whining side, but still did great.

by the way, I keep meaning to wish my Nephew Steven, Neice Trisha, friend Stacy, Friend Tina, Friend Mia and anyone else that I am forgetting, happy birthday....Sorry I am not wishing it on your birthday.

 

2 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying following your joruney!

    Thanks for sharing so much,
    Blessings,
    Tami
    www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had already posted, then realized that your blog and Bringing Home Yun have the same photo! How nice for you all to get together.

    ReplyDelete