The Spunky Clan

The Spunky Clan

Saturday, September 25, 2010

The ups and downs and forwards and backwards

Monika kicking in a goal.  The 4 girls and their 2 cousins were playing soccer

first time Erin has kept her hair down, she does have some waves in it

Yep, she got her ears prieced.  She has been asking since she saw ours, to have hers.  Dave asked her at the supper table and she first said no because she didn't want ice on it.  I couldn't figure out why she thought that, then Monika said the movie parent trip.  So I explained to her, that they wouldn't do that.  So then I said Dad and I will take you, she originally said she didn't want Dave to go with because he was sick, so I had to explain to her that he has a bad cold and that is why he is sleeping a lot, but that he can still go out.  She was ok with that.


Today has been a roller coaster day.  We took some baby steps, big steps forward and some really huge steps backwards.  We went to the deaf school today and it was decided that they could accept her and she will be starting school next Wednesday.  On Monday she will have to go in for some assessment testing.  She is excited about it.  She will be going in 7th grade and there is a total of 6 girls in her class and she will have 3 female teachers.  So all is good.  I also got an email and phone call from a friend of my that gave me great advice regarding Erin's hearing, Thank you Sheridan.  I put a call out to the U of M Ped. audiologist, so hopefully we will hear back on Monday for that.  Erin and I have been communicating better, she isn't getting so inpatience with me as quick when I can't figure out what she means or vice versa, so that is good.  The really huge step backwards, I am asking for prayers for this one.  We had an very innocent incident happen today but it really affected the household.  As I have written in the past, Dave and Erin are not connecting that good and it isn't helping that Dave is sick with a bad cold along with his Asthma, so he has been sleeping a lot.  Dave was gone getting Jade (She gets to be home with us this weekend, it is so nice to have the whole family together), my brother was over to get his two kids as they get on and off the bus at our house.  Him and I were talking for a long while and Erin was playing with the 5 kids.  She then joined my brother and I and was talking (signing).  We were in the living room sitting on the couch and Mike went to show her something on his phone, then her new school planner came out and he was showing her things on my Calendar, I got up and did something or go talk to the kids (don't remember), when I looked over to them, she was writing and he was showing her things to write, I didnt' think anything of it.  Dave and Jade came home, and Mike got up to leave.  He was standing in the kitchen talking to Jade and Dave, I was in the back room.  Erin walked in the kitchen with her arms wide open and gave my brother a huge hug, and my brother hugged her back.  This absolutely crushed Dave.  Mike didn't realize he was doing anything wrong as he always hugs my girls everytime he sees them.  Dave is also always hugging the girls (except Erin, because she hasn't allowed it).  He has tried when he is feeling up to it (meaning when his asthma and cold isn't draining him out) to talk and engage with Erin and I have written about how that goes.  I am asking for all your prayers to help us with this.  Erin and I have bonded, I know we have a long ways to go, but we are bonding and moving forward.  Erin starts school on Wednesday which will give less chances for Dave and her to bond.  Please pray for all of us.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sue & Family,

    You are in my prayers definately. You know our story and how things have changed so much from those first few months, I hope that gives you and Dave some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, just popped in my head, what about having her bring dave things to get better? doing good and caring for others physically can set the stage for deeper thoughts. also a special but younger game, like hiding an object -something small and worthles- for each other as a joke. a game just between them? random thoughts, but this is similar to stuff we did with Molly when she wasnt attaching. Her job was to physical things for me to make me happy or feel well. we did hair brushing and such not so good for a guy but she could make his medicinal tea or something. deb olson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bummer- I just wrote a long response and it erased... bummer. I think I will e-mail you my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete